If you want to know what mindset IS, check out Megan’s post entitled, “Mindset: What it Is, How it Works, and How to Do It.” It’s well worth the read.
This is not some woo-woo post full of meditations and relaxation methods. This is a “I take my whiskey neat” post that will tell it to you straight without a bunch of frills and bows. (Also, I lied. It does include meditations and relaxation methods. But it isn’t woo-woo.)
Here’s the thing. There’s this epidemic running around capturing women’s minds that says, “I can’t have what I want because I don’t deserve it.” Or, “I can’t be successful because ___________”. In fact, I once heard a woman say, “I don’t want to be successful because it’s SO MUCH WORK.” My jaw literally dropped when I read that. Seriously? I guess if you aren’t willing to do the work and you ARE willing to stay in the same place forever, then whatever… but success it totally dependent upon the host, and if success means that you make a thousand dollars a month without lifting a finger, that can be YOUR definition of success! It doesn’t have to be a 100 hour work week with webinars and talk shows and podcasts and way too many commitments.
You have to clear your mind of these silly lies. You ARE worth of success, you ARE worthy of your dreams. You CAN accomplish them because you ARE willing to do whatever it takes. Shifting your mindset from, “I just couldn’t” to “I totally can!” takes training, consistency, and commitment. But it is possible. Let’s talk about how you can do that.
Every time you think, “I couldn’t possibly do that!” retrain your brain to, “I could TOTALLY do that if I wanted to!” Instead of thinking “I can’t”, after telling yourself you CAN, outline the exact steps it would take you to get there. Is it a giant collaboration you’re wanting to host, but you’re too afraid of “no” to pitch? (You would like our Pitch Kit, then, since it’s got TONS of social media and email pitches, plus email subject lines to get attention.) What exactly would you need to pitch that person? Badass copy for a badass email, for starters, and then the exact details of what you want to do with them. Be as specific as possible. You want to outline what will happen in great detail because they are busy people too! Here is kind of what a mock outline would look like:
- Host JV Webinar: March 23
- Create landing pages by March 10th
Need: Your bio, bio pic, and links by March 9th
- Post about webinar in Facebook groups
- Advertise it on social media
- Send marketing emails March 12th, 15th, 20th, and 22nd
- Send two reminder emails March 23rd
Etc. You can go crazy with the planning.
Summary: replace I “can’t” with I “can”. This is hard work and takes a lot of pausing throughout the day to correct yourself. I promise it’s worth it though.
“Hard times are inevitable. We do have choices, though, and a question to ask yourself is: are we going to let those hard times define our lives? Or are we going to retrain ourselves to turn the negative into positive? Pause, reflect, reset.” -Justin Williams
Understanding YOUR Version of Success
Grab a pen and paper and follow along with me. We’re going to answer some PIVOTAL questions concerning the development of your business and personal life.
- What does success look like to you? Be as detailed as possible. An example: “$1,500 per month, 10 hours of active involvement in biz, road trips every weekend with fam.”
- What are the exact steps it’ll take you to get there? Creating YOUR OWN success means that you get to define your OWN roadmap. Revamp your brain to think in positives. “I will have to do __________, and it is totally possible.” Try to create a timeline. For example: “August 1st: Set up ____________. August 10th: Pitch so-and-so.”
- What will you do once you’ve reached your definition of success? Remember: this is YOUR LIFE. YOU get to call the shots!
- Snag our Shift Scriptand fill it out. Then, as Megan said in her post, hang it in a high traffic area of your house so that you constantly see it and are forced to readjust your thinking.
Yep, we’ve reached that point in this post. Let me get real with you for a second. I grew up in an environment where “meditation” and even exercises like yoga were considered unbiblical and full of wrong thinking, like self love and self appreciation. My brain was wired to think that yoga and meditation was wrong. For years, I avoided the topic like the plague. When people would tell me about their yoga or bring it up in casual conversation that they had meditated that morning, I would shy away and change the topic.
While there is nothing wrong in not digging yoga or meditation, there is also nothing wrong with participating in either of them. Meditation is mere appreciation for your own self by pausing, sitting in a quiet space, and taking the time to appreciate every bone in your body. Really, it all comes down to being grateful. Here is what I do:
- Sit down, cross your legs and let your hands fall in your lap.
- Close your eyes.
- Dip your chin to your chest and relax each muscle one-by-one, starting from your eyes and ending at your toes.
- Once you’re fully relaxed, repeat some key phrases in your mind until it’s all that seems to be present to you.
- Here are the phrases I repeat:
“I am worthy. I am enough. I am deserving of a fulfilling, rich life full of love and peace.”
“I can do anything and handle any curveball life throws at me.”
“I am capable of great, great things.”
“I will not back down from anything I want. I will fight for my dreams.”
Try it. Let me know how you feel after. Personally, I want to take over the world after ten minutes of meditation and positive affirmations!
This follows along the same path, but I actually use an app on my iPhone for this step. Currently, I have Relax Melodies. On one of the many, many pages of sounds and music and spoken word, they have “Sleep Therapy for Deep Calm.” I play this before I sleep, since we all know what it’s like to try to sleep when you have a million amazing ideas in your head. (Speaking of which, check out this post by Miranda Nahmias on #entrepreneurbrain.)
That app I mentioned is free, and so is the Sleep Therapy track.
Here are a few other relaxation methods to try.
- Take ten deep breaths and hold each breath for 5 seconds before releasing and moving on to the next breath.
- Close your eyes and reevaluate. Why are you stressed? What can you do about it? Will it matter in twenty minutes?
- Wine. All the wine.
This article says, “Your social network is one of your best tools for handling stress. Talk to others — preferably face to face, or at least on the phone. Share what’s going on. You can get a fresh perspective while keeping your connection strong.”
So you’re ready to shift your mindset? Good. Snag our FREE worksheet (which Megan craftily entitled, “The Shift Script”) and get to resetting your mind!
What if we told you that you already have true love in your life?
True love. You want it. You need it. ...and you have it.
Maybe you're single or in an unhappy relationship. Maybe you're only relationship is with your bed or your work wife. Yep, we've been there. Every relationship seemed to have something missing or wouldn't work out for whatever reason.
That reason? We know it. Self-Love. You need it. You have it. You can grow it exponentially with this free 5-day email course!