What happens when you had a dream as a child that you actually reached…and then realize it isn’t what you really want? We’ve read so many books with that catch to draw you in, but no story is like Amy Simpkins’. Amy is a former spacecraft engineer turned life coach and speaking with her was so eye-opening!
This episode is sponsored by our summit, Shield Sisterhood Summit
Hey soul sister! I wanted to get a little personal with you today and talk sisterhood and self-love. How do you feel about where you are with that? Do you have a supportive group of women, or do you feel like your friends just don’t get you?
I totally get it. Sometimes it seems like creative entrepreneurs and online entrepreneurs are an entirely different breed of people. Who else could have full conversations in GIF or Hashtag and not lose track?
I really deeply believe that sisterhood is incredibly important in our lives, especially when we are actively building our businesses and side hustle. I mean, we NEED to take care of ourselves, too.
Join us September 25 – 27 for our first virtual summit where we dive into all things sisterhood and collaboration!
In this episode we talked about:
- Amy’s passion words: freedom, adventure and joy
- How Amy went from a childhood dream to be an astronaut to spacecraft engineering to life coaching.
- How she still loves to talk science and follow her old colleagues even though her passions shifted in a different direction.
- 1o years in she had accomplished so many of her goals and what she really wanted was something new.
- Deciding not to be an astronaut because of her connection to her creativity and innovation.
- Amy’s identity crisis because she was entirely wrapped up into her work.
- An offhand comment from a friend that rocked her world.
- How being too general scared her off at first.
- How valuable her engineering mindset is in the entrepreneurial world.
- The entire process that doesn’t happen overnight.
- Start with crafting the initial vision – what you know.
Our favorite quotes:
- “It was fairly gutting that I was making this shift and that maybe I was wrong all of these years.” – Amy Simpkins
- “I truly believe that we are all multi-passionate people. We can’t just have one passion for all of our lives. You can hold onto a passion throughout your life, but it isn’t going to be your only passion.” – Raewyn Sangari
- “The most powerful and most effective coaching that I did, and the most fun I had as a coach – was helping people to start their businesses.” – Amy Simpkins
- “Oftentimes we don’t realize that it can take a lot of soul-searching, it can take some tears and some emotional rollercoasters to get to where you need to be, but in the end it is totally worth it.” – Megan Kubasch
**this post may contain affiliate links and sponsorships to help us to continue to bring you the best content!**
If we had to give you just one tip…
It is a process, not an event. You don’t have to have all of the answers to get started. You start with what you know and you move forward a little bit and do a test. That test can generate some revenue for you.
Link Drop Like It’s Hot
More About Amy Simpkins
Amy Simpkins is a speaker, entrepreneurship coach, and vision architect. As an MIT-trained engineer, she architected complex missions to outer space. Now she’s applying that proven technical knowledge and big-picture mindset to help you shift your business from POSSIBLE to PROFITABLE. She helps her clients craft clear, big-picture visions and then use an iterative implementation approach to make those visions reality, creating revenue and unstoppable momentum along the way.
If you love the show, we would love it if you would share us with a friend, subscribe and rate us!
Intro Music: The Friendly Monstershop by The Zombie Dandies